Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Why wont the christians save me!?


I reject Christ as my savior! The idea that some sort of zombie came back from the dead to save me from the sin of being born is something I cannot and will not accept. Ok, this topic isn't about why I reject all gods (unlike Christians who reject all gods but one), it is about why the Christians don't want to save me!

If I am a Christian who believes most of the bible (as an aside I must note that literally every single Christian who I have had the pleasure of debating picks and chooses parts of the bible and their various religions to believe in, and rejects other parts) then I must believe that someone who thinks and talks like Mr.Big will spend an eternity in hell!
The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.
Psalm 9:17
Im not even a nation, just one annoying arrogant guy! Since I am one man forgetting god, it must be pretty safe to assume it will be the fires of hell for me!

I have challenged a few of my closest christian friends with the question on why they won't save me. The bible is pretty clear that they are walking a dangerous path even associating with me:
"Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever?" 2 Corinthians 6:14-17

"I have not sat with idolatrous mortals, Nor will I go in with hypocrites. I have hated the assembly of evildoers, And will not sit with the wicked. I will wash my hands in innocence; So I will go about Your altar, O LORD, That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, And tell of all Your wondrous works."
Psalm 26:4-7

"An unjust man is an abomination to the righteous, And he who is upright in the way is an abomination to the wicked."
Proverb 29:27
And my favourite
"Do not be deceived: Evil company corrupts good habits."
1 Corinthians 15:33
I kinda like the idea that just being around me is a threat to someones beliefs, how strong the fear is that people will be easily swayed that the bible goes so far to state its dangerous to spend time in the company of people like me! Ok, I'm off topic...

If someone cares about me and truly believes I will spend FOREVER burning in hell fire why aren't they trying to save me? One would think that hell is the absolute worst place for anyone to be, yet people who laugh and joke with me are simply ok with the idea that I suffer forever in hellfire!

If I truly believed that someone would suffer an eternity in hell, I think I would do everything in my power to save them. Yet all of my Christian friends basically don't even try to save me from an eternity in hellfire! Do these people even like me?!!? Why on earth don't they try to save me!? Why aren't they trying to show me the path to righteousness? Why aren't they appealing to my emotional side? My intellectual side? Why will they let me burn?!

Ok, perhaps they want me to burn for being godless, I guess that is a possibility, but the people I have in mind are really good people, who seem to like me. So I am left wondering, why?!

When push comes to shove, perhaps they don't think I will burn, or that there is no hell, or that maybe not following some arbitrary rules laid down by bronze age sheep herders wont get one eternal damnation.

I think the real reason Christians don't want to save me is that by trying to convince an ardent atheist like myself about the existance of God they need to examine their own faiths critically as I ask some hard questions that aren't easy to answer. That is when talking with a Christian it often comes down to a statement like "You just have to have faith". One of my favourite atheists summed this up best when speaking with believers. as they often respond like this:
"I have faith, I believe this in my heart and nothing you can say or do can shake my faith." That's just a long-winded religious way to say, "shut up," or another two words that the FCC likes less. But all obscenity is less insulting than, "How I was brought up and my imaginary friend means more to me than anything you can ever say or do."
Penn Jillette
Enough of the serious talk...this is what I feel like:

No comments: